How to Prevent the Effects of Stress on Skin
by Rebecca Giorgilli
4 months ago
The ways in which stress affects your skin
There are two essential ways in which stress affects the condition of your skin:
- Your brain is connected to your skin via numerous nerve endings. Since it is the brain that endures all the stress in the first place, it is inevitable that at least some of the symptoms of stress should show on the skin.
- Stress causes shifts in your hormonal balance. And the connection between hormones and the skin is well known.
If we put aside some of the most common ways that stress directly affects your skin: excessive sweating, experiencing goosebumps, breaking out with various types of rashes, etc. - there are also more intricate and long-term effects of stress on the skin. These include acne issues, eczema, psoriasis, and premature aging.
None of these are wanted and that’s a fact. So, how can we prevent experiencing them?
Try preventing the causes of stress first
Before you make an effort to minimise the wrongdoings of stress you experience - perhaps you might minimise the stress itself. Have a wholehearted conversation with yourself. What are the things and events that frustrate you the most? Are there ways to avoid experiencing them? If the answer is no - is there an effort to be made to make the stress inducers occur as seldom as possible. This is the first step towards improving the quality of your life - but also the quality of your skin.
Three most effective ways to reduce the effects of stress on your skin
Every factor that contributes to the state of your skin, be it stress, your surroundings, your diet, sleep schedule, or any other lifestyle choice you make can be alleviated by using certain techniques, but also products to help your skin cope.
During stressful moments, apply your own soothing rituals
Regardless of the reasons you are going through a stressful period, having a set of rituals as a calming technique will help you reach an optimal level of relaxation, thus keeping your skin sheltered from the possible gruesome effects of excessive stress. Nowadays, as staying at home is more important than ever, most of our rituals are home-bound. This, however, is no reason not to get creative and come up with fresh ways to relieve stress and recuperate your skin.
- Exercise - there is no need to explain all the upsides of working out regularly.
- Reduce the intake of caffeine - excessive consumption of coffee may lead up to feeling anxious for no reason at all.
- Spend time with family and friends - isolation and loneliness contribute to having a hard time dealing with stress.
Take advantage of products that improve the quality of your skin
Whether your weapon of choice is supplementing with vitamins that have a beneficial effect on your skin or using the many advantages of various essential oils, your skin will definitely know how to show appreciation for the care it receives. The choice of products you can use nowadays is immense; this is a fact that has many advantages, but disadvantages as well.
You need to do some meaningful research in order to find and start using the product which suits your needs the best. In order to reduce the effects of stress on your skin, using powerful, but gentle cleansing products and serums can mean a world of difference.
- The Cleansing Truth - use lavish antioxidant-rich carrier oils united with potent essential oils as a cleansing ritual that will leave you with a complexion that is clean, fresh and petal-soft. After a long, stressful day, this might be the perfect way to remove the effects of stress from your skin, whatever the causes of that stress may be.
- The Awakening Serum - after cleansing your skin, use a serum to remove the signs of aging and provide the ultimate array of critical nutrients. By awakening your skin and restoring its luminosity, you will prevent the signs of stress from appearing on your skin.
There isn’t a magical recipe to prevent the effects of stress on skin that would work for everyone. The important thing is to find your own balance and listen to your body and your mind equally. Work out a routine that would be a perfect combination of beneficial nutrients, relaxing techniques and skincare products that can do wonders for your skin.